Education and Training
B.S., Industrial and Labor Relations, Cornell University; M.A., Psychology, University of Michigan; Ph.D., Clinical Psychology, University of Michigan.
Positions and Honors
Present: Professor of Psychology, UC Berkeley; Research Psychologist, Institute of Personality Assessment and Research, UC Berkeley.
Former: Instructor of Psychology, University of Michigan; Research Psychologist, Mount Zion Hospital, San Francisco; Dean of Social Sciences, UC Berkeley; Fellow, Center for Advanced Study in the Behavioral Sciences, Stanford; Elected to the Society for Personality; Elected Directeur d'tudes associe at l'Ecole des Hautes Etudes en Sciences Sociales, Paris, France; Elected a Fellow of APS; Instructor, OLLI @Berkeley.
Subjects Taught at OLLI @Berkeley
Introduction to opera; Verdi's operas; Mozart-Da Ponte operas; 20th century Opera; Interracial dating.
Research Areas of Interest in ART
Personality; Causal attribution and interpersonal attraction; Individual differences in purposive behavior; Computer mediated communication
- Mendelsohn, G. A., & Gall, M. (1970). Personality variables and the effectiveness of techniques to facilitate creative problem-solving. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 16, 346-351.
- Mendelsohn, G. A., & Lindholm, E. P. (1972). Individual differences and the role of attention in the use of cues in verbal problem solving. Journal of Personality, 40, 226-241.
- Mendelsohn, G. A. (1978). Verdi the man and Verdi the dramatist, Part I. 19th Century Music, 2, 110-142.
- Mendelsohn, G. A. (1979). Verdi the man and Verdi the dramatist, Part II. 19th Century Music, 2, 214-230.
- Mendelsohn, G. A. (1979). The psychological consequences of cancer: A study of adaptation to somatic illness. Cahiers d'Anthropologie, 2, 53-92.
- Dakof, G. A., & Mendelsohn, G. A. (1986). Parkinson's disease: The psychological aspects of a chronic illness. Psychological Bulletin, 99, 375-387.
- Mendelsohn, G. A. (1990). Psychosocial adaptation to illness by women with breast cancer and women with cancer at other sites. Journal of Psychosical Oncology, 8, 1-25.
- Mendelsohn, G. A. (1993). It's time to put theories of personality in their place or, Allport and Stagner got it right, why can't we? In Craik, K. H. and Hogan, R. (Eds.), Fifty Years of Personality Psychology. New York: Plenum.
- Mendelsohn, G. A., Dakop, G.A., & Skaff, M. (1995). Personality change in Parkinson's disease patients: Chronic disease and aging. Journal of Personality, 63, 233-258.
- Brod, M., Mendelsohn, G. A. & Roberts, B. (1998). Patients' Experience of Parkinson's Disease, Journal of Gerontology: Psychological Sciences, 53B, 213-222.
- Robins, R. W, Mendelsohn, G. A, Connell, J. B., & Kwan, V. (2004) Do people agree about the causes of behavior? A social relations analysis of behavior ratings and causal attributions. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 86, 334-344
- Alterovitz, S. S. R. & Mendelsohn, G. A. (2009) Partner preferences across the lifespan: Online dating by older adults. Psychology and Aging, 24, 513-517